Monday, January 11, 2010

Stationery Carousel (yes it spins!!!!!)


This is a combination of a few creations from Tammy Beaver and Jenny Moors and their very inventive projects but with my own take on combining the two. I have been working on this most of the afternoon (too hot to go outside - 45 degrees today!) I have used the Ballet Blue DSP from the Hostess Patterns Pack available as a level 1 freebie. If I made another one I would use cardstock for the drawers next time to make this a little more sturdy. I have combined Tammy's awesome carousel idea (she is a genius!) but I have done only one layer of drawers and then I have used Jenny's calendar idea for the top but modified it a little to include a pen and post-it-note pad. For those of us not lucky enough to have the matchbox die, you can find some fabulous instructions here from Kristen to make your own easily. I finally found a supplier for these nifty little calendars here in OZ - really affordable too! For my drawer handles I have used a brad and an eyelet together so there is something to grip - so easy! The top and bottom square platforms are simply covered card from the back of the DSP packs. It isn't super fancy or decorated only one colour, I just had the idea and wanted to see how it would turn out. The bottom spinner uses a ribbon spool (see you never should throw ANYTHING away - OK chief horder here *g*) Check out Tammy's awesome tutorial with excellent instructions for how this mechanism works. I will fill the drawers with stationery items like paperclips, rubber bands, mini bulldog clips, eraser etc.. The last two photos are taken with it turned upside down so you can see the spinner platform and the drawer handles up close. I may run this as a class later in the year ready for next calendar year. BTW, you should all be proud of me - NO PINK! New Year's Resolution on track...........

3 comments:

Sonia G said...

This is way cool! I love what you have done

Unknown said...

That is just so cool! I love how you adapted the two designs & came up with this.

Christa said...

This is so neat! I love to give little gifts like this that are useful. Thanks for the great idea!